October 20, 2015, Mumbai: Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., a part of the US $ 16.9 billion Mahindra Group, today announced the launch of SmartShift – a technology enabled load exchange platform. To ride the digital wave, Mahindra becomes one of the first large corporate groups in the country to initiate a digital mobility platform that is completely under its aegis. It marks the next milestone in the group’s journey toward exploring new horizons and rapidly adopting technology to develop new ecosystems.
SmartShift will act as an exchange platform for cargo owners and transporters, enabling them to work with each other. Cargo owners (both businesses and individual users) can access the SmartShift service through a world class mobile app (available on Android), the website or the dedicated call centre. It is noteworthy that Mahindra is launching SmartShift, following over 2000 hours of consumer research done over a year.
Speaking at the launch of SmartShift, Dr Pawan Goenka, Executive Director, Mahindra & Mahindra said, “At Mahindra, we regularly challenge conventional thinking and create disruptions with our unique product and service offerings. SmartShift is one such idea that was seeded by a young team that has now been charged with growing this service offering independent of existing Mahindra businesses. SmartShift is a digitally enabled, value added service that would benefit both cargo owners and transporters.”
Dr. Anish Shah, Group President (Strategy), Mahindra & Mahindra, said, “The goods transport industry in India is a fragmented market. A platform or marketplace that connects load owners and transporters can bring significant efficiencies. The resulting reduction in cost and travel time would delight the end consumer. SmartShift will be the marketplace for load transport within cities”.
With SmartShift, Mahindra aims to offer transparent pricing, an efficient simple one-click booking process and the ability to track cargo after dispatch. Being one of the biggest players in the CV industry, Mahindra understands and recognises this ecosystem and its dynamics.
The company is launching SmartShift in Mumbai today, followed by other towns and cities across India.
The unique SmartShift application will allow Cargo Owners to:
- Book a vehicle in less than 3 minutes
- Be able to negotiate the best price through a unique first of its kind “BID” feature
- Choose from a range of certified and trained SmartShifters
- Track the selected SmartShifter to ensure that his consignment is delivered safely and securely
Simultaneously, the SmartShift application will allow the Cargo Transporters to:
- Get more business through faster and easier order taking technology
- Get the option of accepting or declining a delivery request based on pricing or the availability of vehicles
- Get the opportunity to explore and expand to other markets
- Look forward to a higher earning potential
About the Small Commercial Vehicle (SCV) industry
The SCV industry is expected to reach 1 million units by FY 2021. The key demand drivers for the industry would be:
- The need for last mile connectivity for both goods and people transportation
- Better operating economics combined with better financing options making SCVs more lucrative for end customers
- New applications being developed to expand the market, prompting newer customers to buy SCVs