Pune: Amol Balwadkar Loses Rs 12 Crore Budget Allocation After Seeking Audit of Chandrakant Patil’s Works
Reported by Mubarak Ansari
Baner, 19th August 2026: A political clash between the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) erupted during the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) general body meeting on Wednesday after NCP corporator Amol Balwadkar sought a special audit of development works carried out in the Kothrud constituency.
The BJP-led civic administration subsequently approved a proposal to withdraw the ₹12 crore budget allocation given to Balwadkar, reducing his allocation to zero. The proposal was passed by a majority of 73 votes to 11.
The confrontation also saw PMC House Leader Ganesh Bidkar tell NCP corporators that the political friendship between the two parties would remain limited to the state level and would not extend to the Pune civic body.
The dispute stems from a proposal submitted by Balwadkar and NCP corporator Suhas Tingre before the PMC Standing Committee seeking a special audit of four development works carried out in Kothrud through the Pune District Planning Committee, MLA Local Area Development Programme and other funds.
According to the proposal, the four works undertaken through the PMC involved expenditure of ₹38.15 lakh and were carried out through funds associated with Higher and Technical Education Minister Chandrakant Patil.
The proposal was filed in the records last week.
Clash over 112 agenda items
During Wednesday’s August general body meeting, 112 subjects approved by the Standing Committee and other subject committees were placed before the House for formal approval.
One of the subjects proposed cancellation of the ₹12 crore allocation made to Balwadkar through budget reclassification.
Balwadkar objected and demanded that every subject be read out, citing provisions of the law. This led to a heated exchange between him, Bidkar and Leader of Opposition Nilesh Nikam.
As Balwadkar continued to press his demand, Bidkar reportedly said that if every subject had to be read out, the House would proceed by reading each item and then formally approving it.
₹12 crore allocation had been provided through reclassification
Balwadkar had earlier not received a budgetary allocation from the PMC amid a political dispute. Following his complaint, the Standing Committee had made ₹12 crore available to him through budget reclassification.
The latest controversy erupted after Balwadkar and Tingre sought an audit of works associated with Patil.
The BJP subsequently brought the proposal to withdraw Balwadkar’s allocation before the general body.
During the heated exchange, Bidkar told NCP corporators, “Our friendship will remain at the state level, not in Pune. Do not expect cooperation from us hereafter.”
Nilesh Nikam responded that if the BJP adopted such a position, all development works would have to be carried out strictly according to rules and that the opposition would monitor compliance.
Balwadkar sought an opportunity to speak on the proposal, but Mayor Manjusha Nagpure did not permit him to address the House.
The Municipal Secretary then proceeded with voting. The proposal to reduce Balwadkar’s ₹12 crore allocation to zero was passed 73-11, with the BJP securing the majority.
The Congress remained neutral and did not take a position in the dispute.
