Pune, 5th December 2021: A total of eight Omicron Covid positive patients have been detected in Maharashtra. They include six from Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC), one from Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) and one from Mumbai.
A 44-year-old woman who had come from Lagos, Nigeria on 24th November 2021 to meet her brother in Pimpri-Chinchwad municipal area, her two daughters accompanying her, the brother and his two daughters – a total of 6 people – have been tested positive for Omicron variant as per the report obtained from the National Institute of Virology, Pune this evening.
Additionally, a 47-year-old man from Pune has also tested positive for the Omicron variant,as reported by the National Chemical Laboratory.
The total number of Omicron positive patients in the state are now 8.
Details of patients in Pimpri-Chinchwad:
• Three out of six have come from Nigeria and the rest are their close contacts
• The 44-year-old woman, a Nigerian citizen of Indian origin, and her daughters, 12 and 18 years old, have come to meet her brother to Pimpri-Chinchwad on 24th November 2021. They all have been tested positive for Omicron variant.
• 13 contacts of these three women were traced and tested, and her 45-year-old brother with his daughters, 7 and 1.5 years old, have also tested positive. The Omicron variant has been found in all three contacts.
• The Nigerian woman has mild symptoms and other five have no symptoms at all.
• Out of the six people, three are under 18 years of age and therefore have not taken any vaccine. The three adults have taken both doses of vaccine – 2 have taken Covishield and 1 has taken Covaxin.
• All these patients are being treated at the Jijamata Hospital in Pimpri-Chinchwad and are stable.
Details of the patient in Pune:
• A patient was found positive for Omicron variant in Pune through routine surveillance.
He had visited Finland from 18th to 25th November 2021. He was tested owing to mild fever on 29th November and was found Covid positive. He has taken both doses of Covishield vaccine and he is completely stable without any symptoms.