Pune: Bopkhel’s 8-Year Struggle For A Functional Bridge Continues

Share this News:

Bopkhel, 18th November 2023: The progress of the bridge construction over Mula river, linking Bopkhel and Khadki, is notably sluggish under the current administrative regime, causing distress among Bopkhel residents.

Former BJP Deputy Mayor Hirabai Ghule has voiced her concerns, asserting that the administration has failed to complete the project within the span of one and a half years.

The residents of Bopkhel, situated within Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) limits, were utilizing a road passing through the College of Military Engineering (CME) in Dapodi for commuting.

Unfortunately, due to security concerns, this route was abruptly closed on May 13, 2015. Since then, Bopkhel residents have been compelled to take a detour of 15 km for their daily travels. The ongoing construction of a 1,866-meter-long bridge connecting Bopkhel and Khadki over the Mula river aims to alleviate this inconvenience.

The efforts of public representatives led to 90% completion of the bridge construction. Anticipating the opening of the bridge for traffic after the remaining 10% completion during the administrative period, citizens now face significant delays and a standstill in the construction progress. The work is proceeding in phases at an exceptionally slow pace, resulting in substantial time and financial burdens on the citizens of Bopkhel. In light of these challenges, demands have arisen for an immediate completion of the project and the opening of the bridge for public use.

dreams per square feet

Former Deputy Mayor Hirabai Ghule, who spearheaded the project during her tenure as a corporator, expresses growing impatience among Bopkhel residents and emphasized the urgent need for the administration to fulfill its commitment to completing the bridge construction.


“Bopkhel residents currently endure a 15 km detour through Dighi to travel to and from Pimpri and Dapodi. This prolonged inconvenience has persisted for eight years, with the construction of the Bopkhel bridge experiencing neglect during the administrative regime”, she added.