Pune, 1st September 2021: The autonomous city colleges that are affiliated with Savitribai Phule Pune University (SSPU) have opposed the new guidelines issued by the varsity. While opposing the guidelines, they alleged that the very idea of autonomy has been threatened due to it.
They also warned that if varsity does not withdraw the guidelines, they will go in the court against it.
After University Grants Commission (UGC) allowed the autonomy, several colleges applied for it and were granted the autonomy. The autonomy allows the colleges to frame their own syllabus and conduct the examination. However, according to the new guidelines issued by varsity, the autonomous colleges have been given suggestions regarding syllabus, fee structure and other administrative matters.
The colleges have opposed this saying that when UGC has given clear guidelines regarding fee, syllabus and examination conduct, why varsity wants to interfere in it? The autonomous college committee also alleged that the rules that are applied to the affiliated colleges have been forced upon autonomous colleges.
What are the news guidelines?
1) The colleges must take permission from varsity before starting new degree or diploma course
2) The fee structure must have approval from the varsity
3) For starting post-graduate course, a permission is must from the varsity
4) While starting a new academic course, the number of the students should be approved from the varsity
5) A student should be allowed to take admission in second year for a course despite s/he from other college or university student. For that academic council at college level must be constructed