For investment in river-linking, irrigation development projects Japanese companies should come forward – Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis

Mumbai, July 22, 2019 : The aim is to make Maharashtra drought free. Therefore, Japanese companies should come forward to invest in river-linking and irrigation development projects in Maharashtra, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis appealed the Japanese companies today.

Ambassador of Japan to India, Kenji Hiramatsu met Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis at the Sahyadri State Guesthouse today. During this meeting Chief Minister Mr. Fadnavis was speaking. Principal Secretary to the Chief Minister Bhushan Gagrani, Principal Secretary and Chief Protocol Officer Nand Kumar were present on this occasion.

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said, “52 percent of the terrain in the state is drought affected. Rest of the remaining 48 percent of the area is witness certain rainfall. But a large quantity of rain water goes into the sea. On the other hand, Marathwada and Western Vidarbha experiences drought every year. Therefore, the efforts will be made to prevent the water, which is flowing into the sea, and at the same time, it would be channelized to this drought-prone area in various ways. With this aim, river linking, and water grid such kind of measures will be implemented. This will give relief to the drought affected areas. Sustainable irrigation facilities can be availed. This will require huge investment and sophisticated technology. There is a big opportunity for the companies in Japan and investment. For this, they must come forward.”

“Japan has funded many such ambitious projects in the state. These projects include Metro and Smart Cities Projects. Japan’s cooperation will remain continue in the projects, but there is an opportunity for Japanese companies for investment in river linking and irrigation projects. They should come forward,” the Chief Minister appealed.

Ambassador of Japan to India, Kenji Hiramatsu said, “The cooperation between Japan and India in different areas is very strong. The two countries are partners in many ambitious projects. Japan has also provided cooperation in the metro, high-speed rail, along with food processing industry, cultural and tourism sectors. Maharashtra is a progressive state in terms of industrial as well as agricultural sector. Therefore, the importance of irrigation projects in the state will be of great importance. Japan will definitely be interested in building irrigation facilities with huge investment opportunities.”

On this occasion, Mr. Hiramatsu has wished Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis for his birthday.