Pune: Harshvardhan Sapkal Accuses BJP Workers of Trying to Create Fear, Trigger Curfew Before Rahul Gandhi Event
Pune, 22nd August 2026: Maharashtra Congress president Harshvardhan Sapkal has alleged that a group of youths tried to create fear and a riot-like situation ahead of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s ‘Chhatron Ki Goonj’ programme in Pune.
Speaking to the media on Saturday morning, Sapkal alleged that those involved in the disturbance were not ABVP activists but “hired BJP workers” who had allegedly consumed intoxicants and deliberately tried to create chaos so that curfew-like restrictions could be imposed before Rahul Gandhi’s programme.
Sapkal also accused the police of taking politically motivated action, claiming that cases were registered against people who were not present at the spot, while those who allegedly created the disturbance were not booked.
“I am not making any baseless allegation. Journalists were present at the spot and everything was recorded. We were trying to ensure that no untoward incident took place, while the other group was attempting to create a riot-like situation,” Sapkal said.
He alleged that the incident took place around 10 pm but cases were registered only the following morning, suggesting that the police action had been deliberately considered and politically influenced.
Sapkal claimed that Congress workers were larger in number but initially maintained restraint, while the other group was aggressive and abusive.
“Those from the BJP took the law into their own hands, but the police punished the innocent while letting the guilty go,” he alleged.
Sapkal said cases should have been registered against members of both groups if wrongdoing had taken place.
Reacting to a video posted by a female student involved in the controversy, Sapkal said Congress workers had not asked her to make any statement.
“She is a student and has her own position. Our workers did not ask her to speak,” he said.
Sapkal alleged that the disturbance was intended to create fear among students and discourage them from attending Rahul Gandhi’s programme.
However, he claimed that the large turnout at the event had defeated the attempt.
“The students themselves proved their apprehensions wrong. The girls came forward and defeated their intentions,” Sapkal said.
He added that Congress would continue to pursue the matter but would not allow the controversy to divert its focus from raising issues concerning students and the public.
