Pune: Kerala IT engineer’s dead body in room for 11 hours as PCMC officials debate their responsibilities

PCMC headqurters
Share this News:

Pune, April 24, 2020: After the death of a 45-year-old engineer at his residence, the body was disregarded by the Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) health department officials for 11 hours. The body was lying in the relative’s house in Sangvi from 8 am to 7 pm. The officials were passing bucks on each other.

An IT engineer residing at Shindenagar locality in Sangvi died today (Friday) morning. He had been doing “work from home” for the last one and a half months. He was also addicted to alcohol and cigarettes. He told his friend that he was having trouble this morning. After the friend informed the neighbours, they called from outside the house around 8 in the morning. However, the doorbell rang for a long time but there was no response from inside. But even after that, there was no response from inside.

The neighbours broke the back door of the house and entered the room only to find him lying unconscious. Doctors were immediately called. However, doctors said he had already died. Neighbours reported the incident to the police, the PCMC and the YCM hospital, run by the PCMC, between 9 am and 10 am. However, there was a debate throughout the day over who should bring the body to the hospital. The health department of the municipality was urging the police to bring the body till 7 pm, while the health department is responsible for transporting the bodies.
Meanwhile, as Shindenagar is a densely populated area, there was a lot of anger among the residents about the municipality way of functioning. Angry reactions were being expressed by these residents.

The PCMC Medical Officer Pawan Salve said it was not his responsibility but the work of the YCM hospital’s Dr Wable who said that an ambulance was sent to bring the body.

Relatives of the deceased in Kerala
The 45-year-old IT engineer, who passed away today, was living with his mother at Shindenagar in Sangvi. He had gone to London for over a year for work. He had returned to Sangvi after the death of his mother last year. Next month was going to be the death anniversary of his mother. He was to be posted in the US after the death anniversary ritual. All the other relatives of the deceased engineer are living in Kerala.