Pune: Woman COVID patient jumps compound wall to escape from hospital

COVID patient escapes from hospital in Talegaon Pune
Share this News:

Talegaon Dabhade, July 9, 2020: A shocking incident has come to light in Pune in which a Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) woman patient, who was undergoing treatment at a private hospital, escaped from the hospital without coming to the notice of the staff. The hospital staff, with the help of police, traced the woman and detained her for an hour and a half after a great effort. The concerned woman was opposing the hospital staff as she did not want to go to the hospital again. She also carried an iron spear in her hand. A video of this shocking incident has also surfaced on social media.

The 45-year-old woman is undergoing treatment at MIMER Medical College and Hospital in Talegaon Dabhade. The hospital has about 100 beds, and currently, 40 COVID patients are admitted there. After her report came positive on July 3, she was admitted to a ward on the second floor of the hospital.

Yesterday evening, the woman came to the ground floor. But seeing a security guard at the gate, she jumped off a three-foot compound wall and fled. By the time security guards reported the matter to the hospital administration, she had fled from there. After this, Talegaon police were alerted. By then, the woman had covered a distance of about two kilometres from the hospital and was found sitting in an under-construction building in Vatan Nagar locality. The woman also threw stones at some people who gathered there.

The hospital ambulance soon reached there. Some employees got out of the ambulance wearing PPE kits. Attempts were made to persuade the woman. But she was not in the mood to listen to anyone. The drama went on for about an hour. Then some residents engaged her in talking while the woman was standing with a brick in one hand and a spear in the other. Just then, staff members wearing PPE kits came from behind the building, and took the woman into custody. Although she was struggling to escape, she was put in the ambulance. An hour and a half after she escaped, the woman was taken back to the hospital, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.