Scheme of Hostels for ST Girls and Boys

Share this News:

Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) was running a separate scheme ‘“Hostels for ST Girls and Boys”under which funds were provided to State Governments for construction of hostels as per following norms:

Funding Pattern

Central Share

State Share

(i) 100% for girls hostel

(ii) 100% for boys hostels in LWE areas

(iii) 100% for UTs

(iv) 50% for Boys hostel in States.


(v) 90% for Central Universities and remaining 10% by the Universities.

(vi) 45% for Universities other than Central Universities and 10% by the concerned universities.

45% (In case State does not contribute, the share is to be borne by the concerned universities.

However, as a part of rationalization of schemes of the Ministry, it has been decided to subsume the intervention of ‘construction of boys and girls hostels’ under the Scheme of ‘Special Central Assistance to Tribal Sub-Scheme (SCA to TSS)’ from 2018-19 onwards, wherein assistance is provided as 100% grant in the form of an additive to State funds and efforts for tribal development.

As informed by State Government of Kerala, 48 hostels are functional as on 21.03.2018. Thiruvananthapuram and Pathanamthitta , Kasargod districts each has one boys hostel while in Kottayam has one girl hostel and in Idukki district has 9 hostels of them 5 are for girls and 4 are for boys, in Ernakulam district has 4 girls hostel, Thirssur has 2 boys hostel , in Palakkad district has 8 hostels of which 4 meant for girls and 4 for boys , in Malappuram has 6 hostel of which 3 for boys 3 for girls, Kozhikode has 2 boys hotel, Wayanad has 15 hostel of which 11 are boys hostel.

This information was given by the Union Minister of State for Tribal Affairs Shri. Jaswantsinh Bhabhor in Lok Sabha today .