Dighi, August 9, 2020: At least 13 persons including seven children were injured in an explosion caused by a gas leak from a cylinder at Dighi. One of the injured is reported to have died. The incident took place at around 6.30 am today at Ashtavinayak Society in Mahadevnagar on the border of Dighi and Bhosari.
The deceased was identified as Dnyaneshwar Temkar. Temkar’s wife Mangala Temkar (age 27), daughter Anushka Temkar (7), son Yashshree Temkar (2.5), their guests Mr Satpute, his wife, son and daughter are injured in the incident. Five people were injured in the second house. The injured have been identified as Mahendra Surwade, Archana Surwade (35), their daughters Akanksha (15), Diksha Surwade (13) and son Amit Surwade (8).
The Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) Fire Brigade had received a call at 6.30 am about wall collapse in Ashtavinayak Society. Accordingly, Bhosari fire station senior fireman Rajendra Gawli, firemen Vijay Ghuge, Shravan Chimte, Abhishek Dige, Hanumant Puri and Anil Wagh reached the spot. Three fire tenders were also rushed there.
The Fire Brigade and police inspected the site and learned that it was caused due to a gas cylinder blast. A total of 13 people were injured in the incident. Meanwhile, local residents had rushed the injured to a private hospital in Pimpri for treatment. The injured include three men, three women, two boys and five girls.
The blast took place at Temkar’s house in the society. The explosion happened when someone tried to ignite the gas today morning. Four members of the Temkar family were injured. Meanwhile, in the last few days, Temkar had received four guests including Satpute’s family members. All four were injured in the blast. The blaze reached the neighboring flat as well where the Surwade family lives. The Surwade couple, their two daughters and a son were also injured.
All the materials in both the houses have fallen off. The wall collapsed, causing extensive damage. The fire department has received information that one of Temkar’s family members has died.