Pune: Random Use Of Antibiotics Lands Man Into Life-Threatening Condition

Share this News:

Pune, October 7, 2020: A 65-year-old man landed up in Ruby Hall Clinic when he lost his ability to walk, was unable to breathe, went into multi-organ failure, and suffered from blood poisoning. He was suffering from all these ailments because his body got infected by multi-drug resistant bacteria. 

Doctors suggest that he became resistant to multi-drug organisms probably because of his indiscriminate use of antibiotics. This bacterial infection has made him resistant to many antibiotics. Now, people who come in direct contact with him can also acquire the same bacteria from him and can become resistant to antibiotics.

Doctors at Ruby Hall Clinic diagnosed him with Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) infection. This rare and complex case was either because of him acquiring these bacterias from someone who is already infected with them or consuming anti-biotics randomly in the past and his body then developing this infection. 

Mehbub Jamadar is a retired resident of Miraj. “I am relieved that I am able to live a healthy life now. But two months ago, when I landed up in Ruby Hall Clinic, I was not sure whether I will be able to stand on my feet and whether I will be able to talk. Perhaps, I was not sure whether I will survive”, Jamadar said.

“The patient came in critical condition to the hospital. He was unable to walk, his organs were not working, he was not able to breathe properly, his haemoglobin was as low as 3, his blood pressure was low and his blood was septic. Septicemia, which is also known as blood poisoning, occurs when there is a bacterial infection in the body. In this case, we had to find out the source of the infection. We found that infection was coming from urological systems. We then operated and removed the infection,” said Dr Prachee Sathe, director and head of critical care medicine at Ruby Hall Clinic. 

She further explained, “But we had to find out the bacteria which started this infection. The investigations for that surprised us all. Because it was a bacteria that led to a rare infection called MRSA. The cases of MRSA in India are very less compared to western countries. But this case showed that MRSA infection has started coming from the community. This happens because of the indiscriminate use of antibiotics. Those who get this infection become resistant to many antibiotics.”

Doctors mentioned that majority of MRSA infections are hospital-acquired. MRSA is usually spread by direct contact with an infected wound or from contaminated hands, usually those of healthcare providers. But in this case, he had acquired it from the community or because of his random intake of anti-biotics in the past. Doctors mentioned that these infections coming from the community is a worrisome sign. 

“We have given him treatment to control his source of infection. His spinal column was destroyed and there was pus collected. There was surgery required for removal of that focus of infection also. In MRSA there is a reservoir of bacteria in the nose of the patient himself and that is why the treatment for that has been given”, informed Dr Sathe.

He is free of these bacteria now. The swab test result is negative. It is important to make sure that the patient does not remain a carrier. In order to make sure that he does not spread it to others, the doctors have advised the patient to undertake a test regularly. With the test, if there is any reoccurrence of the infection, it can be checked and spread in the community can be controlled.  

Mehboob said, “Random use of anti-biotics had posed a risk to my life. I appeal that we should not take any anti-biotic without a doctor’s prescription. I am able to do all my routine activities on my own now. I am relieved of all the pain and I am feeling healthy.”

Dr Tanima Baronia, an anaesthetist at Ruby Hall Clinic said, “He is a victim of random intake of anti-biotics. Whenever there is an MRSA detected there are many who can be at risk. This is because the patient can become a carrier and can spread it to others. It is an undesirable organism to have in the community. When it starts coming from the community you start worrying. This means that there are practices which occur and which are not healthy. Random intake of anti-biotics should be stopped.”

Dr Anju Kagal, Professor of Microbiology at BJ Medical College, Pune, said, “It is important that people should not use antibiotics randomly. People should not go to the chemist and ask for antibiotics. Because of the random use of antibiotics cases of MRSA are increasing in India. In order to prevent the spread of MRSA infection, those infected should not use public swimming pools or should not share their things like towels.”

Dr Sachin Gandhi, Dr Himesh Gandhi, Dr Sweta Pattnaik, were other doctors who treated the patient in Ruby Hall Clinic. 



Causes: Antibiotic resistance: MRSA is the result of decades of often unnecessary antibiotic use.

Risk Factors:

Being hospitalized

Having an invasive medical device

Participating in contact sports

Living in crowded or unsanitary conditions

Men having sex with men


MRSA infections can resist the effects of many common antibiotics, so they are more difficult to treat.

MRSA infections may affect your: Bloodstream, Lungs, Heart, Bones, and Joints


Wash your hands  

Keep wounds covered

Keep personal items personal

Don’t inject illicit drugs

Follow and connect with us on WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Linkedin YouTube Instagram