Water Woes Escalate in Pune’s Kalyani Nagar as Residents Battle Severe Cuts

water supply
Share this News:

Sumit Singh

Kalyani Nagar, 29th December 2023: Summer is few months away and will bring the annual struggle for water to Pune’s Kalyani Nagar area. Residential societies such as Siddharth Estates, Raheja Woods, Landmark Garden, and others are already facing the brunt of severe water cuts imposed by the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC). Despite regularly paying taxes, residents are grappling with a lack of access to clean drinking water, making life miserable during the scorching temperatures.

Kalyani Nagar, a rapidly growing suburb in eastern Pune, is home to several residential societies, commercial establishments, and IT parks. Over the years, the area has witnessed a massive influx of people, leading to an increase in water demands. However, the PMC appears unable to meet the rising demands, resulting in frequent water cuts.

Reasons for Water Cuts:
Officials cite the increasing demand-supply gap as the primary reason behind the water cuts. The PMC claims that the city’s water supply is sufficient to meet the demands of only 60% of the population, leaving a deficit of 40%. Rapid urbanization, poor rainwater harvesting systems, and water wastage further aggravate the situation.

Impact on Residents:
The water cuts have had a devastating effect on the residents of Kalyani Nagar. Forced to rely on expensive tanker water, families face a significant financial burden. Essential water usage, limited to cooking and drinking, compromises personal hygiene and cleanliness.

While the PMC claims to be addressing the water crisis, the reality paints a different picture. The corporation must adopt a multi-pronged approach to effectively address the issue. Here are some possible solutions:

1. Rainwater Harvesting: Encourage residential societies and commercial establishments to install rainwater harvesting systems to reduce dependence on municipal water and augment the groundwater table.

2. Water Conservation: Launch awareness campaigns to educate residents about water conservation techniques, including fixing leakages promptly, using low-flow fixtures, and implementing efficient irrigation methods.

3. Treated Water for Construction: Ensure that construction companies use treated water instead of potable water for projects to minimize drinking water usage for non-potable purposes.

4. Water Audits: Conduct regular water audits to detect and plug leakages in the distribution system, optimizing water usage and reducing wastage.

5. Desalination Plant: Consider setting up a desalination plant to supplement the city’s water supply, providing an additional water source and reducing pressure on existing infrastructure.

The water crisis in Kalyani Nagar is a ticking time bomb, poised to explode. It is crucial for the PMC to take concrete steps to address the issue before it spirals out of control. By implementing sustainable solutions, the corporation can ensure residents receive their basic right to clean drinking water without financial strain. The responsibility lies with the authorities to act promptly and prevent a catastrophic scenario in the future.