First time in Maharashtra, Tornado hits Purandar taluka in Pune district
Pune – On 8th of June 2018, Tornado like situation was observed in Ranmala village, Najredam in Purandar taluka, Pune.The event was captured in camera photos and videos got viral on social media.
This was a first time when tornado event recorded officially in Maharashtra. A three membered team of NGO Center for Citizen Science ( CCS) investigated the phenomena by visiting the location on 9th June 2018 i.e within 24hrs limit of event.The team interviewed more than 10 eye witnesses and localites.The team gathered information about features of tornado, duration, path and the intesity of tornado.The team also collected photographs and videos taken by eye witness.
Tornado is a narrow voilantly rotating column of air that extends from base of thunderstorm to ground. Because wind is invisible, it is hard to see a tornado unless it forms a condensation funnel.
Fugita scale- it is a scale of rating tornado intensity based on primary damage on human built structures & vegetation.
Based on site observations and video records team lead to primary conclusion –
1) Duration of tornado event was 90- 120 secs
2) Total distance covered by ground point of tornado was 800 to 1000m ( including water and ground)
3) Destruction -Few metal covers of motor pumps & tin roof of cattle shelters flew away on the path of tornado
4) No property or life damage was recorded
5) Post event heavy rainfall was observed
6) Nearest raingauge recorded 101 mm rainfall for 1-1.5 hrs
7) Based on above observations, the team concluded the intensity of tornado as F0 ( from F0 to F5 scale fugita scale)
Dr. J. R. Kulkarni ( senior meteriologist) guided investigation team memebers Mayuresh Prabhune, Amey Patwardhan and Mitali Inamdar.