~ 10 % of Punekars are ignorant about Hypertension symptoms
May 13, 2016, Pune: On the occasion of World Hypertension Day, May 17, 2016, a study by Indus Health Plus revealed 10-12% of people under the age group of 25-35 years are under the risk of high BP, resulting from stress and ignorance of the symptoms. The sample size for the study was 23,145 people who underwent preventive health check-up during January 2015 – April 2016.
|Indus Health Plus|
|Jan 2015 – April 2016|
|Total no. of people tested||13917
|List of diseases||In Numbers||In Percentage||In Numbers||In Percentage|
|Hyperlipidemia / Atherosclerosis||5527||39.3||3322||36.82|
Indus Health PlusAbnormality report states that there is a rapid increase in the number of lifestyle diseases like obesity, diabetes and heart problems amongstPunekars. Stress induced Hypertension is increasing by 4 % amongst working population of Pune.
Mr. Amol Naikawadi, Preventive Healthcare Specialist, Indus Health Plus says, “The incidences of high BP are more amongst males (35-40 years)than females of Pune. It is not only prevalent in older age group but is affecting the youngsters in early 20’s. People who follow sedentary lifestyle with less or no physical activity fall prey to hypertension. If not treated on time it can lead to heart problems, renal and multiple organ failure.Timely and routine check-up can reduce the risk of Hypertension.
Key findings from the survey:
- More than 20 % of the younger population is prone to junk food which leads to obesity and ultimately results in high BP
- Males are prone to Hypertension than females in Pune, Male female ratio is 23:22
- 7-9% of working population are diabetic and at risk of BP
- Oily and salty food is a leading cause of BP with 25-35yrs of age (males, females) at higher risk
- As young as 22 years of age are hitting the BP due to stress, lack of exercise, more of outside food. Youngsters in the age group of 25-35 years are more prone, from IT sector
- Out of 22% abnormality found amongst males it was found that 8-10% of them were suffering with BP and had kidney disorders
- Evident increase in stress levels amongst females in Pune due to which the cases of hypertension amongst them has increased
- 7-9% of the people under the age of 45-55 years are under the high risk of BP due to intake of sweets which further adds the risk of Diabetes
- Prevalence of hypertension in urban Pune is 20-40% while in rural areas it is around 12-17% and the prevalence of pre-hypertension is as high as 60-70%
- 6-8% of type II diabetes patients between the age group of 30-35 years are under the risk of BP
- 15-20% of those in the younger age group have complained for restlessness and unexplained sweating and high stress levels
- 45% of people are aware about high BP but are not taking any treatment
Dr. Girish Vishwas Date, Sahyadri Hospital says, “Hypertension is becoming a threat amongst male specially working population. The increasing prevalence of hypertension is attributed to stress, sedentary lifestyle, obesity and lack of exercise. Calcium, potassium, magnesium, leafy vegetables and potatoes, helps maintaining a normal BP.”Follow Punekar News: