Mumbai, January 21, 2021: The Bombay High Court has dismissed the appeal and interim petition of actor Sonu Sood challenging the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) notice over alleged illegal construction in their residential building in Juhu. Justice Prithviraj Chavan said that the court is dismissing the appeal and the petition. Now this means that BMC shall be the one to take action on Sonu Sood.
Sonu Sood’s lawyer Amogh Singh requested a period of 10 weeks’ to comply with the notice issued by the BMC and also pleaded the court to direct the civic body not to take steps to demolish the building. The court refused to accept the request, stating that the actor had enough time to do so earlier.
A notice was issued by the BMC to Sonu Sood in October last year. Sood challenged that notice in a civil court in December 2020, but his plea was rejected by the court. He then approached the Bombay High Court. The BMC had alleged in its notice that Sonu Sood had made structural changes in the ‘Shakti Sagar’, a six-story residential building, and converted it into a commercial hotel.
During the hearing in the Bombay High Court on January 12, BMC called Sonu Sood a ‘habitual criminal’. The municipality stated in court that the actors have been repetitively breaking the laws in the case of illegal construction. In fact, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), in an affidavit filed in the Bombay High Court said that Bollywood actor Sonu Sood is a “habitual criminal” who, despite two demolition actions taken against him, carried out unauthorized construction work in a residential building in the suburban area of Juhu.
Sood challenged the notice issued by the BMC in October last year in the Divani court in December 2020, but the court dismissed his petition. He then approached the Bombay High Court. The High Court asked BMC to file an affidavit regarding the matter.
The municipal body stated in its affidavit that, ‘The petitioners are habitual criminals and wish to earn money from unauthorized work. Therefore, he once again illegally constructed the demolished part without the permission of the licensing department to be used as a hotel. The BMC had initiated preliminary action for illegal construction in September 2018, but Sood continued the illegal construction. Actions had been taken to demolish the unauthorized construction on 12 November 2018”Follow Punekar News: