Embracing Pregnancy and Post-Delivery with Comfort and Style
Pune, 14th March 2023: Being pregnant and giving birth to a child transforms a woman’s life. However, the physical changes that accompany motherhood can cause discomfort at times. It is essential to wear comfortable yet stylish clothing during and after delivery.
In India, pregnant women have the option to choose from a wide range of clothes that cater to their distinct lifestyles and cultures. This article provides a comprehensive guide on maternity dresses for Indian women that include not only maternity dresses but also pre and post-delivery clothing for nursing mothers with Indian cultural values.
1. For Professional Women: Professional women carry their attitude and style in their workplace. Similarly, they want to continue looking confident and smart even during pregnancy. These women need to dress appropriately for the workplace, and this doesn’t stop during pregnancy. Indian ethnic wear, such as maternity Kurtis, are becoming popular for young and old mothers alike. They are versatile, easy-to-wear, and practical to move around.
Working women can opt for maternity dresses with soft and stretchable materials with round necklines or mandarin collars. They can also experiment with different styles like angrakha-style, asymmetric kurtis, and front-slit kurtis. For after delivery outfit, nursing kurtis with buttons, zips or front-open buttons can provide quick and easy access for feeding. Pair them with leggings or plazzo pants for a comfortable and professional look.
2. For Housewives: In Indian households, women manage multiple responsibilities, and therefore, clothes must be comfortable and easy to manage. Women can prioritize comfort over anything else during pregnancy, and loose cotton or linen A-line kurtis would work wonders during this time. A-line kurtis flatter every body type and provides a graceful flow, making them ideal for everyday wear. Moms who want some variation can opt for kaftans, long tops, or loose-fit maxi dresses to raise the bar on style and comfort.
Post-delivery, nursing nightdresses can ensure mothers get the well-needed sleep they require while providing easy access to feed their infants. Nursing nighties with discreet slits, snap closures or front zippers are easy to maneuver.
3. For Rural Women: Rural life demands clothes that blend with the culture, and a rural pregnant woman requires comfortable clothing that can support her mobility. Women in rural areas have to travel, work in fields, and attend daily house chores. In such cases, comfortable sarees or dhoti-style dresses in light materials like cotton or linen are ideal.
Maternity sarees are designed explicitly for pregnant women, with ample room for belly growth. Such sarees also come with an attached blouse to accommodate the growing bump. Light cotton sarees with a broad border, floral designs, or prints are suitable for daily wear. Post-delivery, feeding-friendly sarees with front openings can provide easy access to breastfeeding mothers.
4. Traditional Maternity Wear: Traditional wear adds elements of culture to pregnancy. Women can opt for anarkalis, which are traditionally flowy and comfortable, and can be customized to fit their growing belly. They can select traditional wear with soft materials with easy nursing access.
5. Accessories for Maternity Dresses: Accessories like jewellery, bags or shoes, etc. can add to the charm of maternity wear, and wearing comfy shoes during and after pregnancy can keep joints and feet from swelling. Instead of high heels, prefer flat footwear that can provide flexibility and support to the feet.
6. Pre-Delivery Dress: During the pre-delivery phase, comfort is of the utmost importance. Indian women can opt for well-fitted maternity leggings paired with a loose top or tunic. Wearing leggings made of soft and stretchable materials can provide maximum comfort, allowing the belly to grow easily. Women can also opt for palazzo pants or harem pants paired with long tops. Flowy dresses made of light cotton or linen material are ideal for hot and humid weather.
7. Post-Delivery Dress: After giving birth, nursing mothers require clothing that is comfortable, allows easy access for breastfeeding, and provides modesty. Nursing dresses with front zippers, buttons, or poppers are a perfect choice for convenient nursing. Wrap dresses, maxi dresses or shift dresses with discreet nursing access are also suitable options for added convenience.
Indian nursing mothers can opt for nursing kurtis or tunics with front-open buttons, zips, or concealed flaps that provide both functionality and stylish versatility. They can pair these kurtis with leggings, palazzo pants, or jeans for a casual, yet chic look. Comfortable nursing nightgowns or pajama sets with front buttons, zips, or snaps are also ideal for nighttime feedings. Besides nursing nighties, kaftans, and pajama sets with crossover panels and elastic waistbands can offer excellent postpartum comfort. Functional and fashionable nursing covers and supportive nursing bras are also great accessories that make breastfeeding more discreet and comfortable.